Remarks by Aaron Brockett
484 remarks on the record, newest first · Page 7 of 20
“Okay, thanks for that. We'll come back and discuss that. Any other specific proposals for changes? Rob?”
“It sounds like it's maybe a modification to Matt's, so why don't we lump it in together with the discussion of Matt's proposal.”
“All right. Any other specific proposal for changes? All right. Seeing none, then let's dive in. So Matt put something on the table of holding $4 million for the moment while we figure out what's happening on October 22nd. And then Rob, you wanted to, I'll invite you then to offer a counter if you want to. Did you want to?”
“Very good. Does anybody want to ask clarifying questions about these ideas before we get into opinions? Yeah, I saw Nicole had a question.”
“Tina, did you have a clarifying question? Oh, sorry. Mary, go ahead.”
“Tina, did you have a clarifying question? And then I'll go to Bob.”
“Thanks for that, Dan. I think, Ryan, you had a clarifying question.”
“Okay, thanks. I got several people lined up here. Are you done, Ryan?”
“I'll leave it at that. Good enough. Right. Taisha, and then I got Matt with a clarifying one after that. And then hopefully we can get to opinions here soon.”
“So yeah, I'll go ahead and say something next. So here, thanks for modifying the proposal, Matt. And then we have Rob is suggesting a $600,000 hold. And then what I'd say is maybe the third alternative, as I understand it, would be to adopt the budget as proposed. HAVE THE OCTOBER 22ND STUDY SESSION, LOOK AT WHAT THE CRITICAL NEEDS ARE AND WHAT COUNCIL FEELS LIKE WE SHOULD PRIORITIZE FINANCIALLY, AND THEN POTENTIALLY WE COULD GIVE DIRECTION ON OCTOBER 22ND TO START TO CRAFT AN ATB THAT MET THOSE NEEDS WHILE, YOU KNOW, MAKING THE TRADE-OFFS THAT WOULD BE NECESSARY. SO I SAY THAT MIGHT BE THE…”
“I think that's what we've got out on the table. I would love to start getting opinions so we can get to the will of counsel here. But I see we've got a couple of hands here, Taisha.”
“Okay. And Nicole and then Tayshia for clarifying, and then we'll get to opinions. No. I got Tayshia, and then we'll come back to Rob.”
“Well, as I understand it, on October 2nd, 22nd, council could give direction but could not bind the council that is seated in December to adopt that direction.”
“Okay. Rob, did you have a clarifying question? And then I'd love to get to opinions.”
“All right. So if people can now weigh in on what approach they would prefer to take so we can get to Will Council here. And I think, Nicole, you've been waiting to speak to that.”
“Okay, other thoughts? Well, I can call myself here and say that I really appreciate, Matt, you did a real deep dive on the potential needs. And we all know the extremely high prioritization for wildfire mitigation. And Rob, thanks for bringing this forward as well. From my understanding of it, the sequencing is tricky here, given that we haven't had the October 22nd study session. I'm really looking forward to that and to seeing the analysis from the different departments that are working on this to see where the areas of greatest need and greatest opportunity are. SO I WANT TO HAVE THAT…”
“Other thoughts before we go to the straw poll? Tina.”
“Very good. Okay, so I'll go ahead and straw poll the options in the order in which they were presented. So looking at Matt's revised for two to two and a half million. So raise your hand if that's the direction you'd like to go in. All right, we've got three. And now Rob's. You only get one vote, Rob. So Rob's for 600. Well, in the first round, you only get one vote. But then we'll drop off the lowest vote getter. if there's not a majority. Got it. So for your first vote, Rob's proposal for $600,000. I can't vote.”
“Sure. That's fine. OK. So then we'll treat it as multiple straw polls. So the straw poll number one is would we like to go with Matt's proposal? So who would like to go with Matt's proposal? Okay, we've got three votes. Okay, so that does not have a majority. So we'll then take that one off the table, and then we'll straw poll who would like to go with Rob's approach. But I've got another question.”
“But I believe I heard you say it would be a realignment from the open space CIP budget.”
“And if I can reduce the crosstalk here, folks, if you don't mind, let's have one person talking at a time. So I think it would need to be from a general direction. So you could say anywhere from the OSMP budget. You could say from the OSMP CIP budget. But, yeah, you don't have to necessarily pick out a line item, but you need some general direction.”
“Okay. So you're suggesting real line. And if we can not have the crosstalk, please, folks.”
“Okay, so Rob's proposal is realigning $600,000 from the OSMP CIP and or reserves. Okay, so that's what's on the table. Straw poll, all in favor of doing that, raise your hand. So we got four. So that's a deadlock.”
“So our straw poll... shows not a majority for that one, but not a majority for the other approach either. Yeah, Mary, did you have? And then, well, and then the third option is to wait until after October 22nd. So kind of all in favor of taking that approach, raise your hand. What's that?”
“Yeah. So, yeah, I mean, I think we know the answer, but all in favor of taking that approach of waiting until after October 22nd, raise your hand.”